Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cinnamon Cupcakes

So let me just preface by saying that my dessert of choice has to have something chocolate in it. I just don't think there is much else that is worth the calories.

When we were in Georgia, the person in charge of welcoming us to the neighborhood brought by some cinnamon cupcakes. They were pretty and they looked yummy but I didn't think too much of it until I tried one.

They were incredibly, wonderfully delicious.

Recently I have come to a place in my life (6 months pregnant) where I decided that I would like to make them (needed to possess and eat them to satisfy this craving that I started having for these cupcakes that I had only eaten one time in my life but suddenly could not continue with life as I know it until I had eaten another). I diligently searched the Internet with different search engines and different word combinations until I came to this website called..... How to Eat A Cupcake. And there it was, except she called it a Cinnamon Toast Cupcake. So I thought I would make them and see if they were close.

And they were wonderful.

Everything I had hoped for.

I modified her icing recipe because I wanted it a little stiffer to make the cute swirls on top. And the basic cupcake recipe is so simple that they really could not be any easier!




Cinnamon Cupcakes
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 pkg vanilla pudding
1 ¼ cup milk
¾ cup oil
3 large eggs
1 TBSP cinnamon

mix all ingredients together and bake for 15 – 18 minutes (or until knife comes out clean) at 350°
let muffins cool completely before icing

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 pkg cream cheese (cold – I use 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Brand)(yes, I'm a cream cheese snob)
5 TBSP butter (or smart balance)(cold)
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla

Beat cold cream cheese and cold butter together until creamy. Yes, I know it's a little bit of a pain but it is the only way to keep the icing to the consistency that you can pipe it out in a cute swirl pattern. Add rest of ingredients and beat just until mixed well. Ice cupcakes with large star tip and large tube. I had to make one and a half batches of the icing recipe to do the swirls on top, but if you are just icing them plain, there should be enough.


Keep refrigerated.

You can come back and thank me once you've made them.

And I know you will. Make them that is.

And you will probably name your next daughter after me out of eternal gratitude.

They are that good.

Enjoy!!!

6 comments:

  1. Daisy Fuhrman........ that does have a nice ring to it? :) And I do love daisies. And cupcakes. Just in time for some summer birthday ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering for more of these cupcakes! Yummy!!!!! I do have everything to make them.....but I just want to eat them all so maybe I shouldn't....and thanks for the recipe. : )

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! YUMM-O! I love cinnamon. I add it to all my chocolate stuff. I'll have to make these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know who the "said" holder of the recipe is! Too funny! And no, she does not share recipes because I've asked. She feel like it's copyright infringement. She's just REALLY honest like that. The cupcakes sound fantastic and if I wasn't trying to lose every pound that I can, I would totally make these. But, I might just have to find a reason to make them anyway! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lara ~ The funny thing is that she told me there was an online group she belonged to and that they exchanged recipes all the time. I think she just wanted to keep her reputation as the best baker in our neighborhood. :) And she really is an excellent baker! I just wanted one itty bitty recipe. I probably should have promised I wouldn't bake them for anyone else in Georgia. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look divine. In spite of the lack of chocolate. :-)
    Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!