Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Gingerbread Houses

Okay, so they were actually Graham Cracker Houses. But we applied the same principles.

I saw the idea at Smockity Frocks and thought it was brilliant.

I made up the houses a couple hours before we started so the royal icing would dry and the structures would be solid enough for the kids to decorate.

We had a selection of yummy Christmas candies to decorate with along with several selections of icing for the glue.
And we all had fun and I think they turned out pretty cute. The kids really had a great time with them and they were not that hard to assemble.
Her goal was to get as much candy on the roof as possible. It was quite a site to behold.His goal was to do enough to make a presentable house without having to add any more candy than necessary.
His goal was symmetry. It was all about perfection.

I think this is one new tradition that we really liked and will try again next year.


And if you happen to live in my area and want to try these tonight or tomorrow, I've got half of all the decorating supplies left and you are more than welcome to them, just let me know! We surely don't need all the extra candy around here!

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. Those looked like so much fun & what a good idea. We did a pre-made g'bread house...the kids had fun but wow, it was alot of work.

    Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so cute. Tell the kids they did a great job. My son saw them and now he wants to make one.

    You guys a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute!
    I just remembered the pre-made kit that is sitting in my pantry. Think it's too late? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are cute. We did that about 6 years ago and I had forgotten all about them.

    I will need to try and remember for next year.

    BTW I love the picture of your family at the table. What a beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!