Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Well, just throw me in the Briar Patch

I have a confession to make.

I don't want to work with kids at Vacation Bible School. (I know, go ahead and gasp and then sit back down)

Since I have 3 kids who are attending I feel somewhat compelled to help out. But I have specifically asked to be put somewhere that I won't have to work with kids. It must be the fact that I work with my own kids every day, because I used to love working Vacation Bible School. It was one of the highlights of the summer. I loved it. But when I worked 2 years ago (of course, I was 7 months pregnant) I was completely exhausted by noon and was almost to the point where I would just rather not have my own kids go than to feel like I have to stay and work all day with a bunch of other peoples kids.

In fact, I remember clearly that by day 3 of VBS two year ago I had 3rd graders talking to me all day. Talking, talking, talking. Then on the way home my 3 kids talked to me allll the waaaaay hooooooome. Talking, talking, talking. So by the time I got home I said, "That's it. No more talking to mommy for an hour!"

My at-the-time-4 year old daughter sweetly said, "That's okay Mommy, I'll just talk to the baby in your tummy."

At that point there was just a long silent scream in my head that said, "No more VBS!"

So guess what?

There is apparently a "photography/slide show maker" position at VBS.

And it's mine.... all mine!!!!

Can I just tell you how excited I am?!? I can work at VBS and yet not be in charge of any children! I've been doing the happy dance all day long. Happy, happy, happy!

I feel just like Brer Rabbit. No, please, don't make me take pictures. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Is that terrible that I don't want to work with kids?

4 comments:

  1. you will do a great job at it! i hope you have a fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that I'm giving up Facebook for Lent, I have more time to catch up with blogs :o) Although, I don't think that was purpose of giving up Facebook :o) But, I had to comment about this VBS post. I just had the converstation with a friend last week, I don't want to help with VBS this year. I think I'm burnt out! I would like to help, but not be a lead teacher and prefer to not be with kids. I'm thinking it has something to do that I'm with kids ALL the time. Either my own or 19 third graders on Tue/Fri. So, good luck with finding your place in VBS this year! I'm sure something good will work out. Miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this? Seriously? You posted something and I MISSED IT? Grrrr.
    About VBS, you are preaching to the choir, sister. I haven't EVER worked VBS. I make snacks for the workers. I went from coming home with my little ones (our VBS is only for K-6) to having older kids who have to go to and from work-outs and jobs during the morning.
    YOU will be amazing at the picture/video thing.
    Amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I completely understand. We don't do VBS any more, and I dont help with SS. I have 8 children, and my priority is with the baby right now. I do have 3 children who work in the nursery, so I feel our family is contributing. But I TOTALLY get it. I have my own kids at home ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!