Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Themed Family Night

This year in our homeschool we studied U. S. History and U. S. Geography. For the theme of our family night, I let the kids pick a state and we would dress up and decorate like we were in that state.

They picked Alaska.

They made paper snowflakes and hung them from the lights and made paper "snow" chains and decorated the room. We drug out every white sheet we had to make snowdrifts and then the kids raided their rooms and brought down every stuffed animal they had that they thought would live in Alaska. We had many bears, a moose, a seal, a killer whale and some puppies who were actually supposed to be wolves.

They put their hats and scarves on and we read some books on Alaska.

After we finished the book on how to make your own igloo, we got some tiny marshmallows and royal icing and made our own.
They're beauties, eh?

Then for dessert, I made a Baked Alaska. I have always wanted to try one but never had the occasion. My personal opinion is that whoever invented this was bored. :) But I have to say, my kids and husband absolutely loved it!
We then took our snow drifts to the living room and watched a movie about Alaska that I checked out from the library. It was a fun evening! I didn't spend very much money and I let the kids plan and use their imagination. They had the very best time!
Themed family night.
It's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sad to say that I still haven't done this - even since the first time you posted all your cleverness on themed nights. Maybe now that I see you have survived two - I will take the plunge. You inspire me. That Baked Alaska looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero.
    Amazing, Girl.
    Enough said! :-)
    (maybe I can hire you to come to my house and duplicate this? Ha!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!