Friday, June 25, 2010

If it is a Star Wars cake you seek, then found it you have

Guess what kind of party we are having?

That's right, the kind of party where mommy takes a Valium after she spent all day baking, cleaning, laundry, changing diapers, shopping, dealing with the insurance lady regarding the mailbox that is still knocked down, chasing down the mailman so my son gets his Birthday cards today and just general craziness on top of it all.

Oh, I jest. I have no idea where to get any Valium. But it's the thought that counts, right?

Okay so for their birthdays the kids get to tell me what kind of cake they want and I try to figure out a way to make it happen. Up until this morning my son who turned 9 today just wanted a 2 tier Star Wars cake. Anything on it would be just fine.

Then he got this brilliant idea to have a 3-D R2D2 on top.

Great.

So I researched all kinds of R2D2 cakes and was intimidated by all of them. The best I could come up with was to go buy some modeling chocolate and fashion an R2D2 out of that or use rice crispy treats carved out in the shape of R2D2 and then cover it with fondant. (image the baby crying in the background unless I'm holding her) (that's more like it)

So as I'm drinking my 53rd Diet Coke for the day I have an epiphany! I could use the diet coke can and cover IT with fondant! So I tried it and decided my crazy idea might just work.
Voila! The Diet Coke R2D2.

I'm sure this would fall under the 'desperate times/desperate measures' clause. But it is finished, and he is thrilled, and now it is on to the Jedi Training Birthday party tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! i am very, very impressed with your skills! i would never attempt it. well i never even make my kids cakes - no one would eat it. congrats it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving loving that cake! Girl you are good! And patient. And good. I'm still at the sheet cake stage and find R2D2 at toysrus to perch atop my sweets.

    Thanks for the kind words. I've got to dust off the camera more often these days. But just last night I realized just how close my 18-55mm would get. The shots on the blog were all done with that one. Typically the 50mm is what I use for close up stuff but there is a limit how close it will allow me to get. I've always been frustrated with that.It is one of my older lenses (like 15 years old) The 18-55mm came with the camera body. It's a good one - and I guess I'm still learning all his best points. I was tickled to see that detail.

    I shot a little one year old today using mostly the 18-55.who da thunk.

    I also have a 7-210 (another 35mm lens from our previous life) go nikon for making enduring parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! My kids would LOVE that! They are totally all about Star Wars. I'm hoping to come to the 4th at some point, just not sure when or how long. DB isn't crazy about it (no surprise :)) I will do my best, I want to see everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Word.
    You rock, Girlfriend!
    I purpose to never let my kids see this. Because it would make our family-only-pick-your-meal-and-dessert-with-balloons-from-Grandmother birthdays look so boring.
    HA!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!