Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Much Excitement Still Abounds

So that you do not become concerned that a lack of posts equals no excitement, I submit this picture.


These little guys have given us much excitement.

The first day we saw one, I was vacuuming the living room and saw something small and agile scrurry across the floor.

I promptly yelled.

My 5 year old does a fairly good impression of the event.

We tried to capture him and actually had him cornered when he proceeded to crawl up the wall.

That was exciting.

He was finally captured and was in captivity for about 12.5 minutes before his tail was parted from his body.

We felt terrible but could actually see how this tactic could work in the wild as all 3 of our children were absolutely fascinated with the wiggling tail and completely forgot about the creature it formerly belonged to.

We released him to the wild but fear not for the extinction of his kind because since we have moved in, my 4 year old daughter has successfully captured and de-tailed 5 of them. The last one she actually had in a basket for about 2 hours before his tail came off.

I believe we are making progress.

(Only the first one was found in our home, thankfully. The rest have been found in the garage and in the back or front yard.)

**We believe these are Mediterranean Geckos. If you know what they are for sure, please let us know. And I'm sure you will be much relieved to know that one was held in captivity for several hours yesterday and released back into his natural habitat (which is apparently our back porch) with his entire tail intact.

*** And I'm also sure you will find much relief in knowing that their tails do grow back. Which is what they need to keep predators distracted from eating them. But I'm pretty sure that their only local predator is a 4 year old-blue-eyed girl. And she hasn't eaten one yet.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! At least you haven't found that many mice in your house. I would still freak out if I had them, we would be moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you - around here, such things are the makings of THE BEST DAY EVER!
    Glad your kiddos are having fun.
    Mine are, too - but OH the house!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!