Thursday, September 4, 2008

Y? Because we like you!

I honestly cannot believe it is already Thursday again!
Between still trying to get boxes unpacked and organized, and birthdays and guests and homeschooling, I've gotten a little swamped in blogland.
So for thankful Thursday, I am thankful for this little girl who just turned 4.


It started out that she wanted a Minnie Mouse birthday.
It ended up that she WAS Minnie Mouse for her birthday.
She ADORED the skirt that I made for her.
Just don't look too close.
I don't like sewing with patterns and I'm sure it shows.
But it WAS awfully cute. I made a circle skirt and she could twirl around in it.

This is her birthday cake.

I really wasn't for sure how to do her gloved hands so I tucked them behind her skirt. My daughter was just tickled that Minnie had on yellow shoes.

And yes, it looks a little odd in the right lower corner because I whited out her name.

Our tradition on birthdays is that when you wake up there is a birthday banner on your door and everyone says "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!" to you all day long. You also get to pick your birthday dinner and theme. We always try to have balloons, cake and ice cream. The cakes are always homemade. We have so far only had one "birthday party" where we invited friends and that was for my son's 6th birthday. Up until we moved to Georgia, we always had enough family over for parties that we didn't invite friends. We try not to go overboard, but we also try to make their day special.

So what birthday traditions do you have?

Big parties with lots of friends or just family?

Do you feel pressured to hire pony rides and a band (which I SO would do if money were no object and my husband was agreeable and we had already saved up $200,000 for each child's college education) or are you a relaxed, low key birthday kind of family?

Well, have a Thankful Thursday and hopefully I'll make it back on before another whole week goes by!

9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous birthday outfit! Looks like your daughters birthday was so much fun. I think you are very talented to make such a pretty skirt...I have trouble sewing anything more complex than buttons! It's not my gift!!

    Birthdays a big celebrations in our house, but that usually means making a big deal of the birthday person,including lots of decorations (care of my creative hubby... we refer to his decorating as Charlotees Web, where he weaves his decorating tricks overnight when everyone goes to bed. I am his assistant. I think that makes me Templeton!), with a theme and cake and candy and cool presents. We have a 'friends' birthday party for the 10th birthday, which so far has only been our eldest son, otherwise it is usually just family.

    We decided that with 6 kids we should try to make their birthdays very special, and that Christmas would be very minimal, as we wanted to focus on it being Jesus' birthday (not theirs!). They also get so many gifts from others at Christmas that we felt it wasn't special for them if we also bought them presents, so instead we thought that their '1 day a year' would be more special.

    Blessings to you and yours from Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so cute in her skirt! I know she loved it - she told us on the phone :) I'm sure she talked about it all day! What a great mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it from someone who only sews things with right angles; it's a cute skirt and she's SOOOO cute. I'm glad things are going well for you. One day, we must connect via the phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH!
    Darling!
    The cake is impressive! Seriously!
    I let my kids pick their breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts on their birthday. We usually just celebrate with grandparents - that's a BIG party around here!
    And YES we do a banner, and sing all day long and take treats to school.
    But without any ponies or anything. HA!
    And we have a once/month party with all my family and celebrate birthdays together - which has been such fun and taught them a lot of "otherness".
    Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, are you actually reading the Scarlett Pimpernel? Or are you just trying to see if I'm paying attention? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg - Thanks for the compliments. You are sweet. The skirt turned out better than I expected but I have some things I can improve upon if I decide to do another at some point. That is funny about your hubby and the decorations!

    Rebecca - she's talking about wearing the skirt to the airport when you bring Eli back so you might yet still have an opportunity to see it! ha!

    Kirstin - hey! yes! we must talk on the phone.

    Mrs. Troop - I am indeed reading the Scarlett Pimpernel. Actually re-reading. I've read it so many times in my life that I practically have it memorized. But it has been a while and I thought it might be a nice diversion. Have you read it? No spiritually redeeming values, just intrigue, mystery, valor and romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cake, love the outfit, love the kid :o) Happy Birthday sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both the cake & skirt are awesome! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday sweet girl! She is precious and your are super-talented!!!
    We do the same thing with banners, balloons and family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!