Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas

My son handed me a note today.

It was his Christmas wish list.

Seriously???

I don't remember making wish lists until I was much older than 7. But with all the stores starting to carry Christmas decorations and gifts, and all the magazines pouring into our mailbox full of everything a boy could want, it is difficult to counter the "stuff is important" mentality.

So I've started thinking about Christmas. Not as much about what gifts we should get everyone, but what we can do to make Christmas more about Christ and less about stuff.

We have many family traditions. Some are Christ-centered and some are just traditions.

One of our favorite traditions that we started about 5 years ago was to have each child pick out things to send in a shoe box for Operation Christmas Child. They really enjoy picking things out for a child in another country who has a lot less than they do. They are also challenged by the fact that they don't get to keep what they picked out and they don't get a duplicate either. :) We also pray for the child who will receive that box. It really helps give the kids more of a global perspective and helps them see the joy in giving.

A new tradition we are starting this year is that we are making a simple manger to go under our Christmas tree. We will then have the kids take turns for every day of December placing a little bundle of hay in it. By Christmas morning, the manger will be full of hay and then when the kids wake up, there will be a "baby Jesus" in the manger. We also bake a simple cake and have a birthday party for Jesus.

So as I'm pondering Christmas for this year I am wondering what else we can do to keep our focus on the Saviour and the reason for Christmas. I would love to hear your favorite traditions and what you do to keep the holidays Christ-centered.

3 comments:

  1. Love your post. These things have been on my mind lately as well too. Normally I start thinking about the 20th of December but this year I'm determined to be more thought out. One of the best books of ideas I've ever read is Noel Pipers book on traditions. I think it is "Treasuring Christ in our traditions" so full of ideas for every holiday. One of my favorites is a shepherds pouch instead of a stocking that they keep out all month. The kids fill with money and then on Christmas - they have a reward in their stocking and the money goes to help someone in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do things very similar! We do a birthday cake for Jesus, donate toys and have a manger with a doll (Baby Jesus) too! Those are probably the only non-gift traditions we do every year unless you count a meal. There's always good food, pretty much the same as the Thanksgiving dinner. :)

    I am SO looking forward to the holidays, except this year it will be a little different. We will not be going to my parents' house this year (family issues), so we'll be inviting my mom to join us. Possibly a new tradition! I've never prepared an entire holiday meal and had a big dinner in my own home before! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori. So glad you sent me a link to your blog. I loved the family night with a theme!! Our main tradition that has helped us keep Christmas centered on our Saviour is an Advent Wreath. One of my bible study teachers helped us make one year as part of our bible study and I just love it. You can probably find all kinds of info out on the internet about them. A quick run down...you light the first candle on the wreath on the first Sunday after Thanksgiving, add one candle each Sunday night and light the center white candle (Jesus' candle is white because He was sinless and in the center because He should be the center of our lives) on Christmas Eve. Our kids love it and I amazed each year at how much they remember. Here's a couple to refernce: http://www.christiancrafters.com/adventwreath.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_wreath Let's see...things to note...I use 4 red candles instead of the pink and purple and I bought the wire advent wreath frame and wrapped it with strands of evergreen stuff from HobbyLobby. Also, I include pine cones to represent the cross, red berries to symbolize Christ's blood, talk about how the light symbolizes Jesus as the light of the world. When I get my stuff out of the attic for Christmas I will send you the info that I use if you are interested because I think it has better info than the sights I listed above. But, that could get you going if you decide to make one and want to shop around for stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!