Thursday, April 29, 2010

April Showers..

...bring my favorite spring flowers.

My irises have been my faithful friends. I love them because they are so hardy! I didn't start out loving irises but they have grown on me.


This group has been with me for over 10 years. They have lived at 4 different houses with me and made it through 3 moves. I've lost a couple colors along the way but it is always hard to make sure you've got them all when you move.




When we moved to this house, these iris were lucky we even got them in the ground. My priority is always to get the daylilies in the ground first and we just didn't have much energy left when we made it to the irises. We basically just dug an area out, threw some bone meal in and planted them with the rhizomes sticking out.

This year the whites seem to be particularly hardy and are taking over. I've had this happen before when there is one color that is stronger, it will grow over the others and then the next thing you know, you only have white. So, I am labeling all the leaves. This fall I will dig them up and put all the whites in their own group.

I know. There are days when I verge on brilliance.


I've always had a weakness for clematis.


When we moved here, someone at the local nursery advised me not to try to grow clematis down here. She said they just don't do well.

But I love them and thought I'd give it a try anyways.

And look what I've got!
This is their second spring in my yard and they seem to be growing just fine thankyouverymuch!

So what's growing in your spring garden?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lori!! I love to see your garden and hear your stories about your beautiful flowers! My green thumb is getting greener as I am trying to understand the flowers that were here when we moved and learning more about what I like to plant next. My house had lots of roses, which are not my favorite, but five are doing very well in spite of that...only two have died! LOL! My favorite plant is peonies...I haven't planted them yet but plan to this fall. I am still learning what I like or don't like though....through trial and error! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Lori!!! When I was growing up, my grandma had an iris garden. I remember weeding and helping and loving this flowers after she was gone. Irises are special to me and always will be. What a beautiful garden. I am hoping by next year, I will not be working full time and maybe could come over, have tea and enjoy your irises... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because you found my blog...I've decided to start blogging again :0) Look on my list of blogging friends and read Emily's. She's my cousin and I think you will enjoy her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grass? Trees? :-)
    HA! Working on it, here. We do have beautiful Daffodils and Iris. And Hydrangeas - but they are just coming out.
    Such pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!