Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It seemed like a brilliant idea at the time.

So one of our summer goals was for each kid to plan and prepare a meal. They would choose a main dish, side dish, bread, dessert and drink and then make the grocery list with me and we would go purchase everything. We would then choose a night and they would get to prepare their meal with as minimal help from me as possible.

It was a great plan in theory.

I think my downfall was taking all 4 kids with me and trying to purchase everything for the 3 meals in one grocery trip.

With their 'help'.

They honestly did really well. They all got to pick out things and help find all the ingredients they needed. But there is just something about trips like that (even when all the kids are well behaved) that make me want to put a video on for them when we get home and go find a quiet closet to sit in all by myself for a couple minutes. Or a few hours.

With something chocolate.


So my big girl got to go first. Her menu consisted of spaghetti and homemade meatballs, steamed broccoli and carrots, french bread, dirt pudding, and Strawberry fanta soda.


She loved every minute of it. Although I have to admit that the menu was a little over ambitious for a 5 year old to plan and execute.
Next time we are just going to have a meal and a dessert. That's it.
And can I just say that I would really love a new apron? Something like the cute pink striped one from Williams Sonoma? I'm just sayin.

My 2nd boy got to go next. He planned hot dogs (his very favorite meal of all time), pineapple, celery with peanut butter and raisins, individual peanut butter pies for dessert and Orange Soda.
He loved using my new Kitchen Aid blue willow mixer (thanks, babe) and grilling with daddy.
And aren't his miniature peanut butter pies adorable!!!!?!!
The oldest went last and he wanted to make pizzas. He had several side dishes planned with root beer floats for dessert. And can I just confess that by the time his night came around I told him that we could just make the pizzas (from scratch by the way) and not worry about the sides. I felt rather guilty about that but my tolerance for helping children produce edible meals was rapidly depleting.
And I don't really think he minded.


All in all, it was a great experience. Each kid was so proud of their meal and they all turned out pretty good.
But it's going to be another year before we try it again.
At least.

3 comments:

  1. love the idea - in theory. don't know that i would be brave enough to try that (definitely not the homemade meatballs!). looks like fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like great fun! Not that I'll be following in your ambitious-mother-of-the-year footsteps. :-) Sweet kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly loves to make 'homemade' pizza and fruit salad for us. We need to do that with the twins too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!