Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The River

One of our favorite things to do at Grandpa's farm is to play in the river. I remember when we were kids, my brother and sister and I would load up buckets and nets and inner tubes and our seine and walk down the gravel road all the way to the river. We would spend the whole day having grand adventures.

Oh those were the days.

It was so much more fun when I didn't have little people I was responsible for!

We would also take float trips in our inner tubes down the river with all our cousins. Being the first in the line was always a bit risky because you would be the first to hit your bum if a big rock was in the river going down a set of rapids. On the other hand, if someone up front saw a water snake passing by, being last wasn't the best place to be either!


Ahhh, here is my beloved river.

And here is the..........bridge.........oh wait, that's not the river. That's the ROAD that goes down to the river from my Grandpa's farmhouse.
Remember the big storm? Well, it rained so much that it flooded the river the next day and all the overflow went along the road. The very same road that we drove on the previous night around 11:30 pm to get up to my Grandpa's house!
This is what the bridge looks like when the water is up. We were pretty fortunate that it wasn't up like this when we crossed the night before.
My Grandpa told me that when he was a young boy, there was a ford where the bridge is now. They used to cross it with a wagon and horses. He said when the river was up, his dad would tie down everything in the wagon and they would go on across. The wagon would start to float downstream from the horses and it would get rather scary. But they always made it.
It makes me so thankful for the concrete bridge.
Small as is may be.
And this was one of our favorite things to do this trip. Four-wheeling on the road in the water.
This is my brother and my oldest son. My brother is letting him "drive". He's such a cool Uncle!
And here is my man and my boy. I think if there was someone taking a 4-wheeler anywhere, my son managed a way to get a ride on it with them.
And yes, that is still the road.

2 comments:

  1. Ah - the sweet simple pleasures. I do love a good lazy river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun is that!
    Love the pictures of the boys riding four wheelers. Gotta love it!
    Looks like great adventure and wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!