Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thankful Thursday

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Be joyful always;
pray continually;
give thanks in all circumstances,
for this is God's will for you in
Christ Jesus.


It's so very easy to be thankful when everything is going my way. When birds are tying ribbons in my hair and singing sweetly as I go about my daily life.

It's when things are difficult and circumstances are beyond my control that I find myself falling into the pit of grumbling and unthankfulness. I find myself starting to feel like things are unfair and I've drawn the short straw. Been sent down the river. Dealt a bad hand. Between a rock and a hard place. Close but no cigar. Flash in the pan. When it rains it pours. (you get the idea)

I've avoided doing a Thankful Thursday post because I've felt more discouraged than thankful.

I'm not feeling well physically. Circumstances have not turned out like I anticipated or hoped for. And I'm just exhausted in general. Moving to a new state (yet again) seems daunting. And 9 months of living in Georgia with our 3 kids while my husband works in Texas has been more difficult than I could have ever imagined.

And yet, in Thessalonians, it didn't say.... be joyful only when things are going your way....... and pray continually because everything will work out just how you planned....... and give thanks only once you have achieved your happy place and your world is at peace.

It says give thanks in all circumstances....... so here it goes.


1) Thankful for the sport court down the street. The kids and I went down there yesterday and played ball. It was the Ladybugs versus the Sharks. The kids even dressed up in basketball outfits to go. We had a great time.

2) Thankful that even though we didn't sell our house and that we ended up taking the company buyout (and lost money) that we still had the option of a company buyout. I've been so focused on the fact that we aren't getting out of the house what we have in it, that I've lost the gratefulness that the company is buying our house and that we can go ahead and move to Texas.

3) Thankful that we found a house in Texas that will work for our family.

4) Thankful that in less than a month we will be living under the same roof as our daddy.

5) Thankful that we will only be 4 hours away from my parents.

6) Thankful that the company is packing us up and that I don't have to do that all alone. Or worse, with the help of the kids. Because I am actually never alone. Lonely sometimes... but never alone.

7) Thankful that the kids are all in good health.

8) Thankful for the rain.

9) Thankful for the VBS camp the kids went to last week.

10) Thankful that my husband will be home for the weekend!


Okay, that's all I've got.
I hope you have a Thankful Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head, Girl!
    Thanks for the reminder.
    You have my prayers. And an ear to listen anytime you need it.
    Better get over there and post a list of my own, now.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Crazy Daisy! I just followed you over here from 'Mrs troop' and lo and behold, I see she has left you a comment... hope you all don't think I'm stalking anyone!!!

    Thank you for this great reminder of all we have to be thankful for! I too struggle with seeing the positives, when the negatives seem to be easier to find. I heard a great song recently that asked the question of God,"Do I praise you only when things are good, or are You still good when things are bad?" Ouch! That was a little convicting!!!

    Anyways, your kids are gorgeous & I loved reading your blog and look forward to reading more of your writing about your precious family.

    Blessings to you from Sydney,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lori. This is exactly how I have been feeling lately. Sometimes it's easier to look at the negative.
    What an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. I can always use a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Lori! I don't know if you saw my site since I posted in response to your comment, but I am always happy to get back in touch with folks from home. How did you guys get to Georgia? Email me. It's the same as my blog address.
    TTYL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!