Monday, November 3, 2008

Randomness

I was tagged by Mrs. Troop to tell 7 random things about myself.

So, um, here they are.

1. I adore playing music. I can play several instruments including the piano, oboe (college orchestra), bass drum (high school marching band), tenor sax (college jazz band) and flute if absolutely necessary. I've recently started playing the violin (I use the term "playing" very loosely). I really enjoy it and can play several songs and several hoedowns with my Grandpa and Mom who also play the violin. Although I'm pretty sure my Grandpa would say that he plays the fiddle. I've attempted to play both the guitar and the banjo but I just never really got it.

2. My brother and my husband have the same first name. Which is odd. But not as odd as the time I was dating my husband (obviously before he was my husband) and my brother was dating a girl with my same name. That was really odd. And I must say that I adore the girl he married who does not share my same name.

3. I love to play games. Especially nerts. It's a card game that I learned at college. On my hall we would all be in our rooms studying and then someone would yell down the hall "NERTS BREAK!!!!" and we would all grab our deck of cards and go play a couple hands for a study break. I am always up for a game of nerts.

4. I collect daylilies. The actual plant. I have about 34 varieties and around 300 plants total. Which is really only a problem when it comes time to move.

5. We've moved 3 times in the last 4 years.

6. My brother and sister and I used to all ski slalom together. Those were good times. We would do all sorts of tricks. It was great fun. 7. I know the Order that most insects belong to. It's nerdy and quirky, I know. It's because my college Zoology professor was an Entomologist and we had to do an insect collection and have 12 orders and 100 insects. After that much quality time with all those insects it was just kind of hard not to remember facts about them. I passed this on to my children this last summer when we studied insects. It's rather amusing when my 4 year old tells a neighbor that the butterfly they just found is in the Order Lepidoptera or not to step in the ant pile because ants are in the Order Hymenoptera and we don't like insects in Hymenoptera because they sting. How's THAT for randomness.

Okay, so that's it for all my randomness.

So I'm going to tag my sister Good Life Girl, my friend Laura J. and my best Georgian friend Georgia Mom, to tell us 7 Random things about them.

Good luck with that.

5 comments:

  1. Hey. Great list. I LOVE the game Nerts. It's so much fun & causes my competitiveness to really come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the most interesting collections of randomness I've ever read. And I do here and now promise to challenge you in a game of NERTS if ever we are to meet.
    Love Love Love some Nerts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the tag....my first time!

    I had no idea about your music playing ability! You amaze me with all of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that we need to get together for some Nerts! Had no idea so many people knew how to play - HA!
    LOVE your list - I'm so glad to be your friend - you are such a wealth of useful information! Wish I had known about the insect thing BEFORE our insect project. Oh well.
    Is that picture actually one of you three skiing? Because I'm totally impressed, once again!
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Troop- Yes that is actually a picture of the 3 of us skiing together! How fun is that!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!