Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Crazy Sewing

Okay, so there has been some crazy sewing going on here in the last couple days. I mean crazy as in... my husband is out of town, we've just listed our house on the market to sell, I'm trying to keep the house "show ready" with 3 small kids while also trying to complete school each day and also feed them 3 meals a day and get all the laundry done crazy. And I decide that my neice who is turning 1 needs a new birthday dress... and not only that.... it needs to be reversible....... crazy.

So here is the first side. It is a fine wale pink courderoy with her initials embroidered on it along with the cutest brown bows with pink polka dots! It turned out SO CUTE!







Here is where I got into trouble. This is the other side it reverses to. It has the cutest little birthday cake with chenille icing and very cute white bows.

The problem is that you could see through to the other side.

Ugh.

Learn from my mistake. Don't try this at home! Just go ahead and make 2 dresses if you must have both the monogram and the cake! It's just not worth all the tears and frustration and knashing of teeth! It's not. I promise. I had to try and "line" the middle of the dress and it just didn't work out so well. If you look closely you can see where the lining is in a big square behind the cake. It looked fine on the monogram side, but this side it shows through just a hint. It actually is not quite as noticible in real life as it is in the picture.

And don't even get me started on button holes. If I put a button hole in something, it is TRUE LOVE! I was doing just fine until I got to the button holes and if my mom had been living just 15 minutes away, I would have promptly drove to her house and through tears begged her to finish this dress for her youngest granddaughter. But she lives 2 days drive away. So I didn't. And yes, I did consider priority mail, but there would not have been enough time for her to finish it and take it to my neice. So I got out the sewing manual and figured out which foot thingy needed to go on and which setting it needed to be on and I got the thing done. But it wasn't pretty. Fortunatley the button holes are covered up by the cute bows. :) That worked out well!

Crazy sewing. That's all I have to say about it.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Crazy, but amazing! The dress is DARLING. I can't believe you take the time to do these things - it shows your generous and loving heart! Which makes you a wonderful friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still love the dress! I've logged on several times just to "oooh" and "aaah" over it. Hope your evening is going well. I'm losing it here, but God is still in control and I trust Him!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!