Monday, November 12, 2007

Fashion Follies of the 6th Grade

So, this weekend I was flipping through a fancysmancy catalog and saw this.....


Are you serious? Is the flipped up collar on the polo really coming back in style? Because if it is I am all over it! Oh yes I am! Because this fashion wave rolled through our mid-west town when I was in 6th grade, and I was not cool enough to pull it off.

It's sad, but true.

I actually did wear my collar flipped up sometimes at home to impress my little sister and brother with my coolishness. And I would stand and look at myself in the mirror to see if I could get up the nerve to try it out at school.

But I just couldn't pull it off.

You see, in 6th grade, I was 6' tall and skinny as a rail. The closest 6th grader in height to me was a good 5 inches shorter. Many a time the boys would walk up to me and ask "How's the weather up there?" (looking back I think they were just intimidated by me but it sure is hard as a 6th grader to see that) My dad jokingly said I should tell them "It's raining" and then spit on them.

I never did.

But seriously considered a couple times.

So if the flipped up collar polo really and truly comes back, And it really is cool, I will so wear it this time around! And I know my kids (6, 4 and 3) will be so impressed with just how cool their mom is.
Because I am like, SO totally cool now.

4 comments:

  1. You so totally, like, CRACK ME UP! Wasn't it great growing up in the 80's? I remember feeling SO UNCOOL. Oh, wait. That was yesterday!
    Love ya, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I followed your lead, and perused (sp?) a half dozen of my favorite clothes catalogs online last night. Never been so depressed. As if it isn't bad enough that nothing looks "suitable" to me (am I THAT old?), the things that looked like they might sort of work were ferociously expensive! What is with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I just have to say (yes, I know, write on my OWN blog!), that I have given up on ever buying any shoes except from catalogs. It's useless to GO to a store, when they only have one of 753 styles of shoe in an eleven.
    Hummph.
    However, I did find some cute shoes at J Jill. But hence, only up to an eleven! I don't know how you survive! Well, actually, since I haven't bought any "real" shoes (that aren't athletic) in about 3 years, I'm not sure how I survive, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I wore my black skirt and shoes to church. Are you surprised? Neither was anyone else. I just realized yesterday it's ALL I have for winter. I have two other Summer skirts, but NONE for Winter. What's a girl to do? I just kept telling myself (I'm reading this awesome book on modesty) that at least my clothes aren't detracting from the real me. Everyone has already seen them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!