Monday, May 12, 2008

Chocolate Mocha Cake

After many requests for this recipe, I have decided to post it for you.

Cause this is just the best cake I have had recently and it is SUPER easy to make.
And impressive.
And that is what I'm all about. Simple and impressive.

It's a great cake to take to get togethers, fellowships, to take to new moms
and to new neighbors!
(or people who are moving from Georgia to Texas)



Ingredients
1 package of Duncan Hines Brownies that is the family size
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
3 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
Bakers semi-sweet baking squares.

2 - eight inch cake pans

First we need to cut out wax paper circles to fit in our eight inch cake pans.

You then spray the pans with Pam, stick the wax paper in and then spray with Pam again.


Then we need to combine the brownie mix, the 1/3 cup water, the 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and the 2 large eggs. ( the 2 eggs make the brownie more cakey versus just 1 egg which makes the brownie more fudgey) If you have pecans, throw in about a 1/2 cup. I had-eth no pecans, so I did not throw-eth them in.


Then you stir it all together.


Now we come to a very critical stage.
It is very important... VERY IMPORTANT... that you DO NOT LICK THE BATTER.
I'm sure the thought never occurred to you.. but just in case you just want to accidentally leave some extra batter in the bowl that you will have to sample later or just in case you accidentally stick your fingers in the batter and feel that you must lick them off... you need to know that you will need every drop of the batter to make this cake.
Otherwise it will be too short.
But I wouldn't know.
So you pour your batter into your 2 eight inch pans. And pop them in the oven at 350 for about 20 to 25 minutes. You don't want to overcook them so check them with a knife and they are done when the knife comes out clean.

Then you let them cool for about 5 minutes and then flip the first one over onto your cake plate.

See how nicely the wax paper comes off?
And there is no huge chunks of cake stuck to the bottom of the pan!
Woohoo!
(leave the second cake in the pan for now)
On a side note, I think I am going to scratch "hand model" off of my future career list.

Now we get to the fun part.
Note, I did not say "fat-free" part.
You combine your 3 cups of whipping cream in a mixer with your 2 Tablespoons of instant coffee granules. I prefer to use the Tasters Choice packets because we don't drink coffee and I don't make this cake very often. So they just sit in my pantry staying fresh until I need them.
And I use the decaffeinated.
I don't feel as bad if the kids eat some that way.


You beat these two together at medium speed until they are foamy.


See how there are stiff peaks starting to form? That is what you are looking for.


Now you add your 1/2 cup powdered sugar and continue to mix it all in.


Make sure your cakes are COMPLETELY COOLED before you put on the topping.
Or it will melt.
Or so I've been told.

So we plop a huge dollop of the whipped cream mixture on the first cake.

And smooth it around but make sure you keep it around a 1/4 inch in height.

Then you add the second cake layer.

And add all the rest of the whipped cream mixture. And then spread it all around. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth or anything.


Then you get out your Baker's semi-sweet baking bars. I usually go with 4.
If you are taking this cake to a new mom, I'd go with 5.
Or 6.
I think nursing moms need more chocolate.



Then you use a highly sophisticated method of preparing the chocolate.
You take the biggest knife you can find and the just slice it up.
(okay, so maybe you don't need the biggest knife... I'm sure a smaller knife does just fine... I just like the power behind the biggest knife... ha ha ha -evil laugh- )


Isn't that pretty?

Then I pile it all on top.

This dessert is best if it is chilled about an hour ahead of time.

Easy, huh? And wonderfully delicious. And very impressive.

Enjoy! And then go exercise for several hours!
* I am currently trying to make this a lower fat dessert (lower fat = less exercise.. right?) but it must still be wonderfully delicious so I will let you know if I succeed.
Trying different methods of substitutions and also cool whip or dream whip for the topping.
If you come up with something brilliant in the meantime, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. THANKS!!!!! I need (ok.maybe not need) to make a cake this week and it sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'm impressed. DO you ship them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx~ I know what I am making for dessert at any and every function over the next few months.
    The visuals were great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have to say, Martha, that you are by and far the BEST recipe website I have EVER seen. Even one that is done by a certain woman on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma. I mean, you are SO COOL! And the pictures. Awesome. Did that take ALL DAY? I'm wondering what the kids were doing in the meantime. Because the background is, so, well, CLEAN. And at my house I'd have to move all the piles of junk. HA!
    You're awesome!
    Can't wait to make the cake. Or, actually, I AM GOING TO WAIT TO MAKE THE CAKE. Because of before mentioned diet that I have embarked on somewhat recently. And I'm pretty sure in my chocolate deprived state I would eat the WHOLE THING. MYSELF. Which is why I don't even have such ingredients in my house at the moment. We are purged of all such fattening deliciousness. Because I have no will power.
    However the recipe, I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!