Monday, May 5, 2008

The Rose

Okay so I just need to start by saying that whilst photographing my roses I've had that song by Bette Midler "The Rose" going through my head....

"Some say love.... it is a river...."

I actually got the piano music for that when I was a child and learned how to play it. I must have been young. A mere infant. In fact, I just barely remember that song because I was so young when it was popular.

But I digress.

As an avid lover of gardening and flowers,
what I am about to say might be shocking.

You might want to sit down for this.

I do not love roses.

That's right. I said it out loud.

I DO NOT LOVE ROSES!

And yet, the last two houses we have lived in HAD ROSES!
I'm sure you are wondering why I feel this way about roses and I have a very simple explanation.

They are just too much work!

They get black spot, they get white spots, they get fungus, they get infestations.
At each house it was my idea to just dig the things out and send them on their way. And yet my husband developed a love and tenderness (he's going to kill me for using that term...) (how about a toughness? does that sound better?) for these plants and sprayed them every week and trimmed them and gave them the attention they needed and guess what?













They are beautiful! All of my husband's hard work paid off
and we now have gorgeous roses happy and blooming in our front yard.

I think I'll give them another chance.

But I'm not planting anymore!

3 comments:

  1. You are too funny! We actually inherited roses at OUR two last houses. And I love them! But here's the secret. Cut them back like crazy and don't ever do anything to them. HA! Ours are going to be beautiful in a couple of weeks - I'll take pictures for you!
    Happy Monday~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I mean our last house and THIS house. I know I often don't make sense - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my blog. It warms my heart that you are finding it helpful, because help folks travel to Disney is what i love to talk about. Need any advice, email me any time. Thank you thank you thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!