Friday, June 27, 2008

Crazy Quilting

So here it is.
The quilt I made for my nephew who should be arriving soon from Africa.

The crazy part came when I suddenly realized there was a baby shower the next weekend and I had not started on the quilt yet. My parents were in town so that helped because I was able to run to several different places to get fabrics that I thought would work. I actually bought all the materials on Saturday and had the quilt finished by about 11:45 Sunday Night. And I left the next morning for Dallas to look for houses with my husband. And I mailed the quilt from Dallas to one of the girls hosting the shower so it would be there
in time for the shower on Saturday.



Crazy.


I started out with about 12 different patterns and colors of material
all cut out in 7" squares and ended up using only about 7 of the patterns.
It is so hard to know what will actually flow together
until you get them all home.


I switched around all the pieces so many times to come up with the most pleasing pattern that I was seeing spots. I didn't want the pattern to be too uniform but I wanted it to be balanced somewhat. I seriously had a hard time with this one. So don't be critical. I did the best I could. I even got my mom and dad involved in the pattern scheme!

My sister-in-law mentioned she was going with blues and browns
as her colors so I just winged it and picked what I thought might work.

Even as I look at it now it think.....
I really should have put this one there and that one here.


I did a cute little top-stitch in brown and backed it with blue chenille.
And I purposefully did not line the squares up exactly
so it would have more of a home-made vintage feel.

Okay, so my intent was actually for them to all line up.

But I had chenille squares along with the cotton squares and
sometimes the chenille would just get too stretchy and then I
could not get them lined up for the life of me.

So I'm just going to go ahead and stick with the home-made vintage feel story.


I have this philosophy that presentation is half of the gift.
And I love to use satin ribbons when I can.
I think it really adds a lot of sweetness.

So I wrapped it up with the widest, bluest, satin ribbon I could find.


And there you have it!
Crazy Quilting!
(I hope he adores it and knows that his aunt loves him so much!)
(you can see how it looks in his adorable nursery here)

6 comments:

  1. It's cute! We love it and know that Eli will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thats beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and your choices for the quilt blocks. Very nice.

    Nice presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Baby Boy still sleeps with his EVERY night - it's precious and we love it.
    Eli will love his, too! LOVE the blues and browns!
    You are an amazing, talented Crazy Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!
    Ok, now about me. Why are you looking for houses in Dallas? Are you moving to my fair fair city? Let me know if you are and if I can help you. I certainly know the areas to avoid. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!