Saturday, June 14, 2008

The First And Hopefully Last Snake Post

The other day the kids were playing in the front yard and I went inside to get a couple things. I stepped back out into the garage and my spidey senses kicked in.

Something wasn't right. Then I saw it.

The biggest blackest rubber snake I had ever seen.

In my garage.

Right behind our vehicle.

And at that same moment I was hit by the second thought that I had thrown out all our rubber snakes for fear that my daughter was becoming desensitized to them and might pick up the real thing.


And then I yelled.



With the door to the house still open behind me, I stood frozen and yelled my husband's full name, as loud as I could. Not once. Not twice. But three times before he was able to make it to my side. And he was just sure something terrible had happened to one of the children.

Because I never have used his full entire name in a yelling voice for the entire 11 years that we have been married. Ever. So he KNEW it was serious.


I pointed, speechless, to the snake. And then I did what any red-blooded blogger would do, and I ran back into the house, grabbed my camera with the ZOOM lens and ran out on the driveway. Far away from the snake.


Can you see him there? Curled up in my garage? This is the best shot I could get from the next yard over with my zoom lens. I'm not kidding.

My fearless hero came to the rescue.
He said the snake wasn't aggressive which made me feel a little better.
Just a teensy little bit better.


Go, snake, go!
You are not welcome in this garage!



Apparently he was a 4 1/2 foot long King Snake.
Apparently he is one of the good ones that eats the bad ones.
And he supposedly eats all the bad rodents and makes the
world a better place.

So we let him go.

I get the heebeegeebees just saying that.
But I'm sure it was the right thing to do.
And honestly, there is no way that guy is going to sneak up on you.
He is just too big!


And that was the day I vowed to never garden again.

7 comments:

  1. I get the heebeegeebees just reading this and seeing the pictures. Oh my! I don't blame you. We don't have that problem in Pocatello. But, it's moments like these that make good stories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got sick reading this. You are much braver than I. I would not have gone back into the house. I would have moved in with the neighbors or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the snake the in last picture???? I didn't think you got that good of shot of him. Especially since you were all screaming and dancing around and everything. I hear he's a good snake (whatever that means), but you just keep him on your side of the street please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heavens!
    I would have been in the next county - not taking pictures!
    Hope he doesn't make regular visits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good snake? The only good snake is a dead one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already mentioned this in a previous comment, but I'm terrified of snakes. Having one (especially a big one) in my garage may have sent me into cardiac arrest. :) I'm glad that your hero came to the rescue!

    Oh, and I must agree with Carla...the only good snake is a dead one...even that is questionable in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!