Monday, June 23, 2008

Wonderful Layer Salad

This is a recipe given to me by my Aunt Patty several years ago.
It's an absolutely WONDERFUL layer salad!

This is one of the tried and true salads that I take to parties and fellowships.
I also use this salad as part of a meal if I am taking dinner to someone.
It is always a big hit and everyone always asks for the recipe.
And it is VERY EASY!

Easy and Impressive. What more do you need?

Start out by boiling about 6 eggs.


Then fry up about a pound of bacon.
Or if I am in a hurry I sometimes use already cooked bacon
pieces (not bits, pieces) (there IS a difference).
I actually like to use Turkey Bacon. I feel just a little better about it.
The BEST turkey bacon I've found to use is Oscar Mayer.
I've tried several and this is the only one to pass the test.


I usually cook this in the microwave, but when I am making it for someone else,
I like to fry it in a pan with a little canola oil.
It has a better texture and flavor and is still better for you than full fat bacon.


Take a head of romaine lettuce and tear it up into bite size pieces.
Then rinse it and run it through the salad spinner.

I LOVE my salad spinner!


Add either a bag of spinach or a bag
of spring mix salad and then mix it all together.


Next comes the green onions.
Chop up about 5 or 6 excluding the very ends, of course.


Then toss it on the salad.


Next comes the bacon.
Crumble it up and toss on top of the green onions.
(could this BE any easier)


Next is a small bag of frozen peas.
You guessed it... toss it on the bacon.
I like the petite peas but any bag of frozen peas will do.


Peel and chop up the boiled eggs.

And toss them on the peas.



The salad is topped with the dressing.

Mix together:
2 cups of Mayonnaise
1 cup Sour Cream
1 Pkg Hidden Valley Ranch


Mix it all together until it is thoroughly combined.


Then ice it on the top of the salad.
If you have any left over, it makes a nice veggie dip!


There you have it!
A new and easy wonderfully delicious favorite salad!
Hope you enjoy and let me know if you make it and what you think!

Wonderful Layer Salad
Mix together 1 head of romaine lettuce and
1 package of fresh spinach or field greens
torn into bite size pieces in bottom of salad bowl.

Layer next ingredients:
6 green onions, chopped
6 hard cooked eggs, chopped
1 small package frozen peas
1 lb cooked turkey bacon (or real bacon), crumbled

Ice dressing on top:
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch

6 comments:

  1. Look at the pretty pictures/recipe! I've been the recipient of that delicious salad and can attest to it's tastiness!
    Happy Monday, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we had our first son you brought this to us with a crescent roll italian casserole and I believe a chocolate pie with an oreo crust. I make this salad per your recipe in the FS cookbook and always receive praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great!! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy! And fairly healthy... which is something I'm seriously short on these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious!!! Can't wait to try it since anything with bacon is on my favorite list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good! We use turkey bacon at our house too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Please respect our privacy by not using our real names in your comment. This is a public blog. Thank you!